Design and develop sustainable technologies
Though most countries still primarily depend on non-renewable energy sources, demand for and access to consumer goods continues to rise. In response, we must develop eco-friendly technologies and approaches that will allow us to grow more sustainably.
In the energy sector, for example, we need to improve existing sources or replace them with alternatives that are cleaner, renewable, and affordable. Many options exist, such as new biofuels, expanded geothermal energy, transport electrification technology, or new biosourced materials. We could also invent portable technologies powered by renewable energy sources for remote and hard-to-reach areas. While some researchers are working on urban agriculture or technologies to grow crops in state-of-the-art greenhouses, others are examining new technological approaches to human health.
More and more nations are asserting the need for industrial sovereignty, including Québec and Canada, creating opportunities for technological innovation. For many businesses, the road to productivity and profitability is paved with robotization, automation, logistics, data processing, artificial intelligence, and optimization of the entire value chain. At the same time, technological progress must make room for important issues like social acceptability, job restructuring and transformation, and socially responsible growth.
Links to the UN Sustainable Development Goals
- Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages (3)
- Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all (6)
- Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all (7)
- Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all (8)
- Build resilient infrastructure, promote sustainable industrialization and foster innovation (9)
- Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable (11)
- Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns (12)
- Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts (13)