Study global and international issues
Humanity is facing an increasing number of complex global challenges that require concerted and multidisciplinary initiatives in economics, human rights, security, health, and the environment. Though multilateralism has lowered trade barriers, reduced extreme poverty, and increased access to education worldwide, many pressing global challenges remain, such as the need to take urgent climate action, protect and promote cultural diversity, and ensure global food security. Other issues include the rise of authoritarianism, protecting populations against terrorist attacks acts and cyberthreats, the impacts of forced migration, and the resulting social inequalities within and between countries.
This changing world has also generated new power struggles at the political, economic, and sociocultural levels. North–South cooperation has emerged as a critical tool for encouraging countries, international organizations, universities, civil society, and the private sector to collaborate, share knowledge, and launch initiatives in areas such as agriculture, human rights, health, and climate change.
These challenges also require us to rethink global governance. In this changing world order, how can we govern in ways that respect people and the planet? How can we develop a fairer and more inclusive form of multiculturalism?
Links to the UN Sustainable Development Goals
- End poverty in all its forms everywhere (1)
- End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture (2)
- Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages (3)
- Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all (4)
- Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls (5)
- Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all (6)
- Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all (7)
- Reduce inequality within and among countries (10)
- Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts (13)
- Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels (16)
- Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development (17)