Skip to main content

Mature applicants

For questions

Pavillon Jean-Charles-Bonenfant
2345, allée des Bibliothèques
Office 2440

418 656-2131 ext 406995
1 877 785-2825
Meeting with an academic advisor by appointment only.

Going back to school can seem like an elusive goal if you don’t have a college diploma, or left school long ago. Université Laval can help you plan your return to school and provide tools and individual guidance to help you on your way

You are a mature student if you:

  • are over 21 years old when you start your studies
  • hold a Secondary School Diploma (SSD) or equivalent, or a Diploma of Vocational Studies
  • do not hold a Diploma of College Studies (DCS, or DEC in French) or equivalent (13 years of education)
  • have been out of the school system for a period of at least two years (continuous or discontinuous)
  • are a Canadian citizen or a Permanent resident
  • have never been enrolled in a university or have not obtained more than 11 undergraduate credits

If you do not meet all these criteria, visit the Admission Requirements page to know your situation.

Plan your return to school

Application assessment

Your application assessment will determine whether you need to complete qualifying coursework. Qualifying coursework may include courses designed to fill gaps in your general education, acquire specific knowledge and skills, improve your French, or complete the prerequisites required by your program. These pre-university courses are called qualifying courses. Successful completion of qualifying coursework is a condition for pursuing your studies in the program you selected. 

Admission offer

If you receive an offer of admission, you can confirm it online before the deadline indicated in your admission file on monPortail. A copy of this offer is also sent to your personal email address.

You have to accept this admission offer in order to be able to register to some classes when the time comes.

If you need to complete qualifying coursework, you will be notified in your admission offer. Please note that qualifying coursework is permitted in all programs except those with limited enrolment or limited space.